Opened in 1846 between Stratford and Canning Town, the line was extended to North Woolwich the following year. Services were extended north to Palace Gates in 1887 although that line (northwards from Seven Sisters) was closed to passengers in 1963.

1979 saw the North Woolwich branch incorporated into the North London Line, pre-empting the closure of the Broad Street line (Broad Street station had hitherto provided the eastern terminus for the North London Line).

All North London line services were withdrawn from the section south of Stratford in 2006. The DLR extension to Stratford International has taken over the line as far south as Canning Town. The Custom House to North Woolwich section will be used by Crossrail.




(1858 - 1943)

Tidal Basin station sustained heavy damage during World War II and as much of the local area had been evacuated, it was subsequently closed.


1930s map showing the location of Tidal Basin station (and the Tidal Basin itself).

Also seen is the original route of the North Woolwich branch - when the Victoria Dock was built, a swing bridge was put in at its entrance, as seen on the map here. However it was thought that the opening and closing of the bridge would interfere with the train services so a new route was built to the north of the dock. The route of the line was interruped again when the adjacent Albert Dock was opened and a new cut & cover tunnel built underneath its entrance.




The location of Tidal Basin station bears no resemblance to photos of the area whilst the station was open.

(photo: 2006)




Eastward view from the footbridge seen in the photo above. The DLR station visible further down the line is Royal Victoria.

(photo: 2007)




(1855 - 2006)

Custom House station is no longer part of the North London line but it will be reopened as part of Crossrail. Expect the layout and look of it to be completely altered.

The Crossrail route will leave Canary Wharf in tunnel, emerging at the surface at a point just west of Custom House, then will run along the former North Woolwich branch to a point just short of North Woolwich station, where it will dive underground again to cross the river toward Woolwich.

Custom House station looking in a westerly direction from the eastbound platform. The overgrowth to the right of the brick wall on the right was originally a bay platform.

(photo: 2006)




Westerly view of the eastbound platform and the replacement ticket office.

(photo: 2006)




Westerly view of the westbound platform. The DLR platforms are to the left behind the brick wall.

(photo: 2006)




Easterly view of the the steps leading down to the westbound platform. According to Simon Hanney of the Epping Ongar Railway "...the track from the section of line through Custom House to the [Connaught] tunnel was recovered and is now laid as the tracks through North Weald station on the preserved Epping Ongar branch".

(photo: 2006)




Westerly view.

(photo: 2006)




Westerly view of the western end of the platforms looking toward the area where the portal will be built bringing Crossrail to the surface from Canary Wharf.

(photo: 2009)

Some photos and details of the construction progress in Feb 2015 are on this page of London Reconnections excellent website.



Reference: London Railways by Edwin Course. B T Batsford Ltd, London, 1962.



North Woolwich Line: Connaught tunnel (aka Silvertown tunnel or Albert Dock tunnel)